Friday, October 29, 2004

Do you ever wonder about the people out there in cyberspace?

Do you ever wonder about the people out there in cyberspace? Are they like us in every way or are they different in more ways than you could imagine. Well I for one don't usually think bout those kind of things. I usually assume that most people would be like me (exception to all the perverted sex maniacs out there-they're not even in my category!) What I mean by this is that I dont usually think about all the special (disabled) people out there who uses the net too.

I was fortunate to meet one of those people one day but what suprises me even more is that he was so cool about his disability that I actually didn't believe him at all at first. I even made a joke about what he said which I regret terribly later on but he was really cool and even went alon with the joke. I always thought that special people would be rather sensitive about their disability but I guess I was wrong. No wonder they're called special.

Adam is an 18 year old guy who looks like any normal guy and he goes to ITM Shah Alam. What's different about him is that he's deaf. Imagine living in a world where everything is silent. It's quite daunting and very lonely. Although I don't have experience but I think I have a vague idea on what Adam's world would be like. I got an ear infection about a week back and I had to put ear drops every night for 5 nights in a row. As a result I became deaf in one ear. It was horrible! I couldn't hear anything on my left and everyone had to speak louder just so I could hear what they're trying to say. I also got overly sensitive about my lack of hearing that Matt and I actually got into a fight when he teased me about being deaf. Suffice to say I couldn't survive the 5 days and went back for treatment on the third day. That experience has taught me a big lesson and out of all the 5 senses I dont think I ever want to lose my hearing. When you can't hear it's like being shut off from the rest of the world. But I hope I never have to make a choice between my 5 senses. I cherish them all.

Adam is lucky that he has supportive family who were willing to learn sign language to communicate with him. The family were even featured in 'Wanita' because they were so supportive towards Adam. What I really respect about this guy is that he wants to be a teacher because he wants to help others who are like him. I guess when you lack something that everybody else has you appreciate whatever else you have even more. All I can say now is "You go Adam!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails