Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Screaming Banshee

I've heard of people being obsessed with religion before and I've seen the footage on TV what people would do when the obsession overcomes then but I never imagined that one day that I'd actually see the wrath of these religiously obsessed people right in front of my eyes and actually spar with them. (Though I don't actually call it sparring since they were shouting at the top of their lungs while I was meekly pointing out that they were wrong.) Anyways, I'm just lucky that I wasn't the target of their anger so I didn't get much heat from them. I probably should start at the very beginning so that you'd know what I'm talking about.

Last night after a fight with her better half, a friend of mine wanted to cool off and asked us out for a drink at NZ. While we were there the same friend saw her old dance instructor and of course him being the polite guy that he was came over to the table and said hi to everybody. I think that was sweet because they were already halfway across the restaurant (which is really huge). So with a reunion there's usually the normal pleasantries and such and at the end of the whole thing was the goodbye hug. A hug between a student to her old teacher and an old friend. Basically a 3-second kinda thing. Though I must admit it wasn't really 'manis' for her to do that to a guy in public but it wasn't anything to go berserk about either.

So the guy left and we're waiting for food when suddenly this woman in her 30's came over and nicely said... (in a nica tone)

"Assalamualaikum, saya minta maaf sebab saya terpaksa cakap nie tapi saya rasa ini tanggung jawab saya sebagai orang Islam...."

And this is when the whole screaming banshee ordeal started. She started going on and on and on about being embarassed seeing my friend hugging the guy and being embarrassed that a Malay was acting like that. All the while her voice rose higher and higher until the whole goddamn restaurant now knew what just happened. The woman was livid. She was waving her arms everywhere and pointing her finger to my friend's face which is something that I cannot accept. Hello... you're talking about Malay being proper but what the heck are you doing pointing like that right in her face. Not only that her arm waving nearly took off my tudung so you can tell how frantically she was waving her arms and ranting. Her face was purple with all the shouting that she was doing.

The 5 of us were shocked and I didn't know what came over me I just decided to say something. Luckily not out of anger or just trying to be rude but because she was embarassing herself. So I said...

"Akak... akak... sabar sikit akak. Sabar..."

After that she started to tone down a bit though she still hasn't stopped. Then I saw her husband with their baby (they were eating a table away from us which is how they saw the whole hugging scene) coming at us. My first thought was "THANK GOD! He's finally gonna calm this madwoman down." But no... he just came to finish what the lady started. He yelled at me asking how can I not be angry at that kind of behaviour and then he turned back towards my friend at started yelling at her. This time he was more vulgar bringing in all here ancestry into the picture which is again another big No-No for me. So I interject by saying (nicely)...

"Abang... jangan la jerit-jerit. Cakaplah elok-elok, bukannya dia tak nak dengar. Tapi kalau abang cakap macam nie siapa nak dengar lagi dia tak nak dengar."

He of course ignored me and started yelling at my friend again. My friend then recovered from shock and nicely and calmly thanked them for 'tegur'-ing her (which to me is very brave coz I would've just ignored them if I were her). My friend said she was sorry to both of them and again thanked them. But you know what the guy said...

"Apa mintak maaf kat aku? Ko kan ada tuhan ko, pergi mintak maaf kat tuhan ko tu. Budak-budak kurang ajar!"

And with that he returned to his table again. Seriously, with that remark he totally squashed whatever respect that any of us had for him. I mean what was this 'tuhan aku, tuhan ko' all about? Aren't we Muslims? Don't we worship the same god?

Sally raised a really good point then. Imagine what non-Muslim would think when they see Muslims treating other Muslims this way. No wonder Islam is so misunderstood and is considered as a terrible religion. The Terrorist religion. If that couple are so into Islam then they should know that Islam never teaches its followers to do da'wah like that.

All of us were traumatised but we knew that we didn't deserve to be treated that way. And I think most of the people there agreed with us since some of them actually came up to us and gave us their support. Two of my friends cried because of that treatment. As for me... well, I'm just glad that finally I had the courage to actually stand up for what's right. God I can't believe that there still people like those two left in this world.

Please god... give them the true light of Iman. Amin

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails